Skip to main content
Exploring Sabbath with a Group
- Consider taking a dive into the biblical concept of sabbath together. Check out The Bible Project’s 5-minute video called Sabbath, which gives an excellent overview of God’s intention for his people, from Moses to Jesus.
- Good small group study materials include the 8-session inductive Bible study Sabbath: The Gift of Rest by Lynn Baab, and the 6-session experiential study Catch Your Breath by Don Postema.
- Experiment at home with different ways of celebrating sabbath, then talk about your experiences together when you meet as a group. What worked for you? What didn’t? What practices would you like to incorporate into your sabbath observance regularly?
Church ministry leaders
- Encourage your ministry team to make time for sabbath on a day other than Sunday. Paid staff, consider declaring Monday your team sabbath, and encourage each other to create life-giving individual practices. At your team meetings, talk about your sabbath practices, and encourage each other.
- Consider how your church programming is supporting sabbath? When do worship teams, pastors, etc., get a break? How can you encourage each other to sabbath?