Sign up to receive social justice news, periodic Action Alerts, and/or updates from the Do Justice blog.
Since the launch of the campaign in fall 2015, over 1,300 Christians from around the country signed this pledge:
Scripture teaches that immigrants are made in the image of God and that a faithful response to a stranger is to extend welcome. In the Bible, strangers are often used by God to bring blessing. I have experienced the blessing that immigrants bring to the U.S., my community, the church, and my life.
So when I hear immigrants described as burdens, I’m committed to change the conversation -- whether in my home, my church, or my congressional district. I commit to speak the truth: Immigrants are a blessing, not a burden.
I call on my congressional representative to
- speak in ways that reflect the economic, social, and spiritual blessings that immigrants bring to the U.S. I will not remain silent about language that portrays immigrants as “takers,” dangerous, or burdensome to my community or to the country as a whole.
- enact immigration policy that respects the dignity of immigrants, and the blessing they bring to the United States. Immigration policy must
- keep families together.
- establish a path to citizenship for those who qualify and wish to become permanent residents.
- adjust the number of visas given to immigrant-dependent industries.
- enforce laws humanely.
- be rooted in the truth that immigrants are a blessing, not a burden.
Join the movement! Sign the pledge and become a Blessing not Burden Partner!