Practicing Prayer as a Family
Praying together is one of the most important faith practices for families! Here are some ideas for how to weave more prayer into your family life.
Make Prayer a Habit
- There are 165 ideas for prayer inside the box of God’s Big Story cards. Check out two samples here.
- The pocket-sized guide Everyday Family Faith by Sandy Swartzentruber helps your family engage with Scripture, talk about faith, pray together, and more.
- Teach Us to Pray, by CRC pastors Lora Copley and Elizabeth Vander Haagen, guides families in both listening to and speaking to God.
- Faith5 is a simple five-step family faith formation practice that includes praying for each other.
Try New Ways to Pray
- 5 Ways to Pray with Kids is a free, downloadable resource that encourages families to have ongoing conversations with God.
- Check out the practical ideas for prayer in Traci Smith’s post The Practice of Prayer with Children.
- In this brief Examen for Families video, Lacy Finn Borgo provides simple ideas for how to incorporate the ancient practice of examen into family life.
Create Fun Prayer Prompts
- Mealtime Grace Placemats for children ages 5 and under contain simple visual prayer prompts.
- Check out these prayer bottles to make with kids from the awesome people at Building Faith.
- One church printed the Compline prayer on pillowcases for their members. What prayer could you put on a pillowcase to help your kids remember to spend time with God at bedtime?
- Kate Huston says that faith practices need to meet three goals to be used with her family: intentionality, consistency, and simplicity. She checks off all three with her Prayer Sticks: A Holy Home Activity.