Ministry Shares Pledge System
Step 1 - Determine Your Pledge
Churches should review their historical giving to ministry shares and determine what they would like to give to the ministry shares program from July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024. If you need help with what past giving has been, email Jeff Bolt (U.S. congregations) or Terry Veldboom (Canadian congregations).
When reviewing past giving to ministry shares consider the following options:
- Can you increase last year's gift by a specific percentage? We recommend 5% because of inflation, but you may select a percentage that your congregation is comfortable with.
- Do you want to tithe your budget to ministry shares? We recommend 10% of your total church budget, but you can select a percentage with which your congregation is comfortable.
- Do you want to set a flat rate per person or for the entire congregation? We recommend a rate of $350 per person, but you can identify an amount with which your congregation’s leadership is comfortable. If you have never given to ministry shares before or its been years, start with a flat amount of $5,000 or $10,000.
Step 2 - Report Your Pledge
Churches are asked to report their pledge amount to the Stated Clerk or Treasurer for their classis. The classis will forward the pledge amounts to the denomination with other churches in your classis.
- Pledges should be reported no later than January 31, 2023. This allows ministries time to put together budgets for the following ministry year.
- Your pledge amount is for the time period of July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024. If you are pledging a different period of time please let us know.
- Pledge amounts reported after January 31 are important, welcomed and appreciated, but will not be part of the budget planning for the fiscal year of the CRCNA budget.
Step 3 - Start Giving Your Pledge
Starting July 1, 2023 you may start fulfilling your pledge amount. You can give your congregation's ministry shares by using this remittance form. Gifts can be given in different ways:
- Monthly giving - create a recurring gift account.
- Quarterly giving - send a check every 3 months.
- Lump sum - Determine a date to give your total pledge amount.
- If you normally give your ministry shares to your classis, this can still be done. Your classis will forward the amount to the CRCNA.
Things to Keep in Mind
Your ministry shares pledge includes giving to Calvin University and Calvin Seminary but does not include other Christian colleges or universities. You are encouraged to support schools in your area in the same way you have in the past. Please send any gifts for these colleges/universities directly to the schools themselves.
The allocation of ministry shares (what percentage is spent on each CRCNA ministry) for the 2023-2024 ministry year will be determined by the Council of Delegates (COD) at the May, 2023 meeting. This allocation may change each year based on special needs of specific agencies, ministries or institutions.
If you are concerned about how ministry shares are allocated or would like to talk more about how your ministry shares are used, please contact Terry or Jeff. They will be happy to talk with you about special allocations.