Synod 2011’s decision to open the Lord’s Table to children places lots of responsibility on elders! How can we equip ourselves to help guide this big step?
- Read Affirming Baptism and Forming Faith. This helpful document is aimed at deepening our understanding of baptism, the Lord’s Supper, and Profession of Faith.
- Check out the study guide to Affirming Baptism and Forming Faith: A Study Guide for Small Groups. Use questions from this study (especially part 4 which deals with communion) as a discussion starter for council conversation around the issue of children’s participation.
- Read Children at the Lord's Table: Toward a Guiding Principle for Biblically Faithful Celebrations of the Lord's Supper.
- Use the study guide A Practice of Christian Unity to talk together about the significance of the sacrament of communion and how it relates to including children.
- Spend some council time discussing Faith Formation: A Model for Healthy Congregational Culture and using the accompanying checklist (Faith Formation: A Checklist for Congregations) to assess the culture of your congregation and its faith formation practices.